Uncomfortable Moments
Have you had those uncomfortable moments with your children yet? I know some of you have older kids, so this probably applies to you!
My dad passed away 8 years ago this August. It was by far, one of the hardest things in my life, and still is. I don't talk about my dad much anymore, it's too hard. I'm a weakling, I WILL begin to cry and it's one of those sobbing, choked up, bucket-of-tears cries. I have told Princess about him, how he passed away and how he's in Heaven.
My kids don't know a whole lot about God, Heaven, Angels or the Bible. But Princess does know that her Grandpa IS in Heaven and he keeps us safe while he watches over us.
Tonight was the 20 questions. How, why, when, etc...
She kept asking me when he was coming back. I explained a million times that he wasn't and isn't. She seemed to get it, but I'm not so sure. I hate that she never had the chance to meet him, he was such a wonderful person.
How do or did you handle those situations?
My dad passed away 8 years ago this August. It was by far, one of the hardest things in my life, and still is. I don't talk about my dad much anymore, it's too hard. I'm a weakling, I WILL begin to cry and it's one of those sobbing, choked up, bucket-of-tears cries. I have told Princess about him, how he passed away and how he's in Heaven.
My kids don't know a whole lot about God, Heaven, Angels or the Bible. But Princess does know that her Grandpa IS in Heaven and he keeps us safe while he watches over us.
Tonight was the 20 questions. How, why, when, etc...
She kept asking me when he was coming back. I explained a million times that he wasn't and isn't. She seemed to get it, but I'm not so sure. I hate that she never had the chance to meet him, he was such a wonderful person.
How do or did you handle those situations?








6 Comments:
Nope haven't been through that yet but I am eager to find out how ppl handle it.
Well yes we have been there.. It gets a bit uncomfortable sometimes for me when the boys ask or want to talk about B's Dad BECAUSE I don't know if he will get upset or not. I have never met him he passed away 4 or so months before I met B. At times B will get upset but most of the times he enjoys talking about him and telling the boys all about their Grandpa.
The whole heaven, God, Angels things like that can be tricky if you talk about it in 'unkid' form..LOL
As for me, it doesn't upset to talk about people that have died but I have never lost a parent so I don't know what that is like.
Ugh, explaining death to Kristen was hard. My mom died when Kristen was almost 3 and so she didn't remember her. More questions come now that she's older about what she was like, etc, but the "death" discussion about never coming back was about the same age Princess is now. Maria Shriver has a book out that helped a lot with her understanding. It's in the other room, but remind me later and I will get the title for you.
Thanks, I'd love to know the name of the book!
It's called, What's Heaven . . .
Yes, I've gone through that with the kids. Ryan was 1 when my grandma passed away and he was little over 3 when my grandpa passed away. He remembers him. And we talk about him sometimes. Especially when they bring out the quilts he made for the kids. My kids understand about God, Jesus, Heaven, Angels and Church. We don't go often, but they enjoy going. We always say a prayer at dinner time. Once in a blue moon when we don't eat together at the table, Chad will say his prayer to himself, and the kids will do theirs to them self. Those are proud moments to see.
It tears me up inside knowing that Saira never got to know my grandparents. And I wish that Ryan could've known them longer.
I know grandparents aren't parents, but they were like parents to me. We spent so much time together. We were really really close.
well, I've blabbered on enough about that I guess.
Post a Comment
<< Home