Friday, April 28, 2006

Tart Making 101

I found this on another site and had to copy!! I LOVE Yankee Candle Tarts! Right now I have a Macintosh tart in the warmer!! *photos not included in instructions.
---------------------------------------------------

This is SUPER easy and really fast. Anyone can do this. You will need soy wax pieces, scent, candy thermometer, mold or ice cube tray, and a microwave safe container.

First, I poured about 1/3 of the pound of soy wax pieces into a microwave safe bowl. I nuked it for a couple of minutes......watch it to see when it's all melted. It should not take more than 2 minutes. If there is a little bit of dried wax on the sides of the bowl, you can just stir it down in and the heat of the melted wax will melt the remaining chips.

When it comes out of the microwave, it will be VERY HOT. Mine was nearly 200 degrees. Allow it to cool down to about 140 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a candy thermometer to check the temp. If you gently stir the wax with the thermometer, it will cool off a bit quicker. It only took about 10 minutes for mine to drop to 140 degrees.

Now you add your scent. Since this was my first attempt, I wasn't really sure how much to add. So I put a 1/2 teaspoon of melon scent into the liquid wax and stirred it. I then waved my hand over it to see how it smelled. It seemed good enough, so I left it at that.

Now you can pour the liquid wax into your mold. I used a small ice cube tray. This tray is from a dorm-size refrigerator, so each cube is only about 1 ounce. Once it was poured, I left it on the kitchen counter. Within an hour it was totally set up and ready to pop out.

And here they are. Basic cream cubes - no color added. If you want to add a color, you can do that at the same time as you add the scent. I wasn't interested in adding a color because it's just a waste of money when all I care about is the scent. LOL

Hope you give this a try and have fun with it!

ETA: The wax cost $7 and the scent cost $4. I can make 30 mini cubes with these supplies and there will still be 1/2 the scent left. So that works out to be less than 37 cents per cube. And the scent is fabulous!!

Oh and one more thing.....these need to cure for 10-14 days. So set them aside to rest before using them.

2 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Wow I love Yankee Candle Tarts also. I am gonna copy and past this on my wordpad. I'm gonna have to try it. Thanks Java =)

10:15 AM  
Blogger ::Ali:: said...

OOOHHH SOUNDS AWESOME!!
Oh I am gonna have to look online for that company.. I want a candle warmer and some awesome candles that actually smell!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home