Friday, May 19, 2006

Boycott

We encountered a movie theatre boycott today in our little Bible-belt town! It was quite surprising, I didn't expect anything like that at all. I mean, I know there has been controversy regarding the Da Vinci Code movie but here, in this little town?! I suppose it's more likely than in the larger cities and all of the theatres most have.

They had their children out there holding signs, signs posted to the ground saying "Boycott our theater" and "The Da Vinci Code is Anti-Christian". Isn't that pretty much passing judgment on those who choose to see the movie? That's how I see it. Just how "Christian" is that?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Christian. I've been "saved", I've repented for my sins and probably have plenty more I should plea penance for, I believe in Jesus and a higher being. BUT I also believe that the Bible is a story, just like any other book. I also believe that many of the stories of the bible have a rhetorical sense. It's like literature in an analytical form.

Literature becomes, a vision of reality. A vision that the reader, may enter, explore, understand, and then accept, adapt, or discard. The greater the literature, however, the more difficult to discard its vision totally, no matter how much we may wish because literature of this sort, though perhaps not factual in the usual sense, becomes true.

Literature is a human expression of a vision of some aspect of life and that is what the Disciples created....the Bible, a conglomeration of short stories, stories of their journeys, experiences and beliefs.

This, of course, is my interpretation. And I believe I'm entitled to that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Blue said...

That's crazy! I don't get why everyone gets like this over a movie...it's a MOVIE! Get a life, people. If they don't want to see it because they think it's Anti-Christian, then that's perfectly fine, but why try and keep others from seeing it? I just don't get people. That is exactly why I shied away from religion, there's always those people that want to push their beliefs on you and judge you. You can share your beliefs without pushing them, I just don't get why everyone can't do that. Ugh!

9:31 AM  
Blogger ::Ali:: said...

I totally agree Java!
I was born and raised Catholic but to me I am a 'Christian' Besides that,

IT IS A MOVIE..ENTERTAINMENT...FOR FUN! Some people have nothing better to do.. Go boycott McD's or something to that effect, at least that is hurting you if you eat it, watching a movie isn't gonna kill you! UGH....
What did you guys end up seeing?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Da Vinci Code!!! HAHA! It was a GREAT movie!

6:12 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I agree with both Blue and Ali .

9:45 AM  
Blogger ::Ali:: said...

I want to see it too!
I know my kiddos would not sit through that though..LOL

12:09 PM  
Blogger April said...

I get to see it next weekend!! I'm so excited. Loved the book! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that is truly ashame about the boycotters. It's quite distasteful to do that imo. Ed said there were none at the OP Mall when he took the boys to see Over the Hedge.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home