Have a cup....or two!

As reported by Reuters today (Reuters, NOT Hooters people), Women with BRCA1 gene mutations, which confer a high risk of developing breast cancer, might decrease their risk by drinking a lot of coffee, according to a multicenter team of investigators.
A Doctor from the University of Toronto, Ontario, along with his colleagues examined the association between coffee consumption and the risk of breast cancer among 1690 high-risk women with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations.
The study included women from 40 clinical centers in four countries. A self-administered questionnaire was used to assess the average lifetime coffee consumption.
The likelihood of developing breast cancer among BRCA mutation carriers who drank 1 to 3 cups of coffee daily, 4 to 5 cups, or 6 or more cups was reduced by 10 percent, 25 percent and 69 percent, respectively, compared to those who drank no coffee, according to the report in the International Journal of Cancer.
When the investigators classified the women by mutation status, they found significant protection from coffee for women with a BRCA1 mutation, but not for carriers of a BRCA2 mutation.
The investigators note that coffee is an important source of phytoestrogens, which may have protective effects.
So, have a cup with me or for me if you wish...the chocolates are only a small incentive :)








12 Comments:
I hope Im not a "mutant carrier"(LMBO)
but im drinking it up anyway!
Lallala peppermint Mocha!
><(((*>
LOL MMMMM I am having a cup with ya.. In my Eeorye mug contains, Maxwell House coffee with coffeemate french vanilla..Hold the sugar please, I dont use it! LOL
LOL I hope I'm not a "mutant carrier" too Jaws!!
I'm having my Folgers Holiday Roast with Vanilla Caramel Creamer... no sugar as well Ali!! :)
I think I should have another cup, just to be safe! LOL I use about 1/2 a TBSP of sugar (maybe a little more), 1/2 a TBSP of fat free creamer, and 1/2 a TBSP of French Vanilla creamer in my coffee. If I don't use French Vanilla, I double the amount of fat free creamer and use honey instead of sugar. YUMMY! I'm such a perfectionist, that I have to use the SAME EXACT amount of everything in my coffee everytime. LOL
Mmmm . . . I'll have two or three with you! I've already had one today. But it has to have cream and sugar ;) Now, my question is, how do we know if we have this mutation so that we know it's actually doing us some good. Heck, if I have it, I'll drink six cups of coffee a day, and actually know that I have a valid reason for it! LOL
LMAO!!!! That is a very good question! I'm sure it's not some type of OTC test like an EPT, but how easy and convienent would that be?!?!
You d#$n coffee drinkers. Oh well Starbucks loves ya'!
I had my couple cups of coffee today. :) I like lots of sugar and creamer though. I get that from my mom. :)
A little coffee with my cream and sugar please...hehe
LOL Water!!!
Hey not my fault I got the gene that makes me allergic to caffinee drinking decaf is like drinking non-alcohalic beer. Plus Blue and a few others have seen me on rich hot chocolate and I act like a drunk if I have too much caffine and I was sick the next day!
Did Folgers perhaps pay for that study? Maybe there is no test to find out if you have the "mutation", so everyone has to drink a pot of coffee a day, just to be safe! LOL
Hahahaa hmmm good question!!
Water... I remember now about you and caffeine!
Post a Comment
<< Home