Sunday, September 24, 2006

I've got Spirit how 'bout you?

So I'm still on the whole 'cheer thing' so just bear with me!

You know I'm all about having 'spirit' when it comes to your school and being involved in activities. There isn't much that Kindergarteners can do around here... there's Soccer, which we missed... Flag Football, which isn't really a 'girls' sport... there aren't any GS troops here, so we agreed to let Princess cheer.

I know at the older age they get very competitive and you can see some of the rivalry... but what I don't understand is starting it at such a young age! We got the list of our cheers and there are a couple that I'm really surprised that they even considered letting the 5 and 6 yr olds use. I don't want her to learn how to 'put down' other teams or cheerleaders and be negative! Even my neighbor pulled her daughter already (she's 8) because she overheard too many 'horror' stories about last year and the girls 'battling' it out on the field. At 7 and 8 yrs old! Battling, getting in each other's faces... c'mon people, these are children! It's not their faults, it's the parents, the coaches... who encourages stupid shit like that? I certainly don't!

So, although the cheers seem innocent there's an underlying put down. A negative implication. Do I just tell her that the cheer isn't nice and she should just sit that one out, or do I address it on a bigger level and take my issue to the coach?

I just want a positive experience for my child, not this bitter rivalry that grows into something much bigger when they get older (ie; Mean Girls is a good example).

4 Comments:

Blogger Jayme Downs said...

Dang! That's terrible they put those girls through that. I'd be like your neighbor and pull my daughter from the environment.

2:11 PM  
Blogger ::Ali:: said...

I would talk with the coach, See what other parents say while the girls are away cheering..

3:26 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

I would talk to the coach.

4:45 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I would talk to the coach also. That is just crazy 7-8 yr olds already acting like that.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home