Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Power of Movies

Yesterday I gave up cleaning or working on my orders, I just wanted to sit and watch a little TV. I fell into the last 15 mins. of Steel Magnolias. I've seen this movie a hundred times. Isn't it funny how you can watch a movie several times and each time it can effect you differently? Last night it was the ending when she went into labor at the Easter Hunt and all of her friends were right there to help get her off to the hospital. I just started to cry. Okay so I know I'm hormonal and I'm usually not a very overly 'emotional' person but this really got to me. Why do movies have to portray such friendships when honestly that does not and will not ever exsist in most peoples lives? That movie portrays 6 or 7 women who are all there for each other thru the ups and downs even when with each other yet they still have a bond that remains to be just as thick as blood.

I think every woman longs to have those bonding friendships that last a lifetime. But why do we when we know it's 'too good to be true'? My mom always told me as I was growing up, "Sweetie, there is no such thing as a best friend". I always hated when she said that to me because in my mind it wasn't so! As an adult, many years later I see the truths in her statements, although I'm still not completely sold, I do see how she would think so.

Now that I've moved a little further from our friends I get a little frustrated at how easily I feel we've been forgotten. I went to the park hoping maybe to meet a friend, didn't happen. I've gone to the scrapbook store, grocery stores, mall and nothing. I even thought what if we have a little 'playgroup' here for just once a week maybe I could meet someone ... did the advertising, flyers, emails....and again, nothing. I am thankful that I'm not too far away to drive to the 'big city', I'm thankful that I do have a few friends that have helped out when I needed it and I am thankful for someone who calls me regularly just to see how I'm doing. But why isn't it enough?

Damn that movie...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I so wanted to come hang out with you on Friday, it just wasn't a good time. And we really needed to get the housing thing done. Husker and I rarely see each other these days.

PurpleMama...you and I have been friends for a long time! Too bad we don't see each other often. I'm excited about next month!!!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm planning a BBQ for next month sometime.... I've only talked to PurpleMama about it. Husker will be here if we have it on a Sat. or Sun afternoon! I would love to see you guys too, Princess misses her Sugar and Spice!!!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home